Pages

Tuesday 4 November 2008

A sonnet by William Shakespeare

SONNET 33


Let me confess that we two must be twain,
Although our undivided loves are one:
So shall those blots that do with me remain,
Without thy help, me be borne alone.


In our two loves there is but one respect, 5
Though in our lives a separable spite,
Which though it alter noy love's sole effect,
Yet doth it steal sweet hours from love's delight.


I may not evermore acknowledge thee,
Lest my bewailed guilt should do thee shame, 10
Nor thou with public kindness honour me,
Unless thou take that honour from thy name:


But do not so, I love thee in such sort,
As thou being mine, mine is thy good report.



A poem by one of the greatest playwrights in English language. He also wrote superb sonnets. There are a few old English words. If you want to, you can read a Spanish translation in the Cervantes Library.

No comments: